Department of Computer Science and Engineering, UCR, US
Ph.D. Candidate in Computer Science.
Advisor: Samet Oymak
School of Computer Science and Technology, Fudan University, China
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Information Security
Gradient descent with early stopping is probably robust to label noise for overparameterized neural networks.
Published on AISTATS 2020
- Demonstrated that large neural networks can overfit to noise, which hurt the accuracy.
- Proved that a large neural network becomes provably robust to label noise when trained with early stopping.
Generalization, Adaptation and Low-Rank Representation in Neural Networks.
Published on Asilomar Conference
- Demonstrated that Jacobian of a neural network exhibit low-rank structure with a few large singular values and many small ones leading to low-dimensional information space.
- Proved that learning on the information space with large singular values is fast and can generalize well but learning on the nuisance space with smaller singular values can impede optimization and generalization.
Exploring Weight Importance and Hessian Bias in Model Pruning
arXiv preprint, in submission
- Counterintuitively, proved that pruning small network weights can provably hurt more than pruning large network weights.
- Established high-dimensional asymptotic bounds in neural networks pruning.
GPU-Accelerated Deep Learning Framework: Mini-Caffe
- Designed and implemented a user-friendly GPU accelerated Caffe-like deep learning framework using C++ and CUDA for Convolution, Fully Connected, ReLU, Local Response Normalization, and Batch Normalization layers. Source code available at https://github.com/DavyVan/MiniCaffe
Data Mining: Behavior-Based Software Malware Detection:
- Designed and implemented a novel feature extraction scheme consisting of behavior counting and PCA-based features for the dataset provided by Qihoo360 DataCon. Trained a Neural Network to identify malware software.
Software Engineering Intern at Shanghai ShanCe Technologies Company Ltd.
Mingchen L., Mahdi Soltanolkotabi, and Samet Oymak. "Gradient descent with early stopping is provably robust to label noise for overparameterized neural networks." International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics. 2020.
Mingchen L., Sattar, Y., Thrampoulidis, C., & Oymak, S. (2020). Exploring Weight Importance and Hessian Bias in Model Pruning. arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.10903.
Oymak, S., Fabian, Z., Mingchen L., & Soltanolkotabi, M. (2019, November). Generalization, Adaptation and Low-Rank Representation in Neural Networks. In 2019 53rd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers (pp. 581-585). IEEE.
Oymak, S., Fabian, Z., Mingchen L., & Soltanolkotabi, M. (2019). Generalization guarantees for neural networks via harnessing the low-rank structure of the Jacobian. arXiv preprint arXiv:1906.05392.
Luchao T.; Mingchen L.; Hao Y.; et al. “Robust 3D Human Detection in Complex Environments with Depth Camera”, 2018 IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM)
Luchao T.; Mingchen L.; Guyue Z.; et al. "Human Detection with Super-pixel Segmentation and Random Ferns Classification Using RGB-D Camera" , 2017 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), Hong Kong, China, July 10-14, 2017
Luchao T.; Guyue Z.; Mingchen L.; et al., "Reliably Detecting Humans in Crowded and Dynamic Environments Using RGB-D Camera", 2016 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), Seattle, United States, July 11-15, 2016
Reviewer of ICLR 2021 and AISTATS 2021
Member of Technology Department, Fudan University Students Web Platform
Position: Software Engineering Intern
Description: Develop the server of a graphics trading system consisting of the executor and the http server, so that users can realize bulk order, conditional order, position and market information check
- Took charge of the routine maintenance and information distribution
- Acquired the development skills of ASP website
Volunteer to teach local middle school students math
Second class scholarship of Fudan University, twice, 4/32
Third class scholarship of Fudan University
First class prize in National Olympiad in Informatics, Henan Province